Thursday, June 2, 2011

Dark Chapter


On April 5, 2011, just several weeks after moving in to our new home, Jose (my partner and sons father) was stopped by local police for a traffic violation and his bad decisions from years ago were back to haunt him, he had a warrant for his arrest.  When he was taken to bond court the following day we came to find he had an ICE hold, it was like receiving a blow to my stomach.  Not only was the man I love going to be held in prison for an unknown time he was at risk of being deported.


That day I had no choice but to tell my 5 year old son, and Joses number one fan, that his daddy was not coming home.  I felt like I had ripped my sons heart right out of him.  The tears he shed were like bullets tearing through my soul.  All I could do to comfort him was to tell him that I loved him very much and his daddy loved him very much and that I was going to do everything in my power to help his daddy come home.  I do not desire that experience onto anyone.  It has been months now since he has been away from us.   I can only wonder how the adult Cairo was to become is now forever changed as a result of this?




I started this blog to catalog our story.

2 comments:

  1. Hi America, lisa here. I am sorry you and your son are going through this. I know how you feel me and my fiance have gone through the exact same thing and now we are both living here in mexico. I am glad that you have started your blog because there is soo much support in this community. If you ever have any questions or need any advice on this journey me n all the other girls are always available. Trust me all these girls have made this transition so much easier for me. You are not alone in this. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, thanks so much. I look forward to learning what I can from you and the others. It's good to see that people are thriving after going through something like this.

    ReplyDelete