Saturday, June 11, 2011

Dear Supporters of State Immigration Laws

It seems like every day every state in the country is attempting to pass it's own immigration law.  It started with Arizona and has spread rampant across the country, one bill after another.  Some are passing some are not.  I get it, states are frustrated.  The federal government is playing tug of war with the subject and basically ignoring the issue by playing the blame game.  My issue with these laws is this, as a Latina who is a US citizen by birth I feel personally attacked by these laws.

These laws that are popping up are being set up so that undocumented immigrants can be found and essentially be "sent back home" even if they have set roots and have US family members in this country. How are these laws supposed to be enforced by local law enforcement officers?  What is a valid reason for an officer to be "suspicious" of  a person being undocumented?  You can't tell by looking at them, undocumented immigrants come in every walk of life, just like their "legal" counter parts.  Is it a persons accent?  The color of their skin?  Is it cuz their freaked out some cop just pulled them over, gun in hand? How are local law enforcement officers going to be prevented from stereotyping?

Reality is that when a person thinks "illegal immigrant" they see images of tanned skin, brown hair, brown eyes bouncing around in their head.  I take offense to this, I'm a dark haired, tanned skinned person.  Do I look undocumented?   Truth of the matter is if I forget my DL at home for what ever reason and I get pulled over by a cop, I would say there's a good chance he's gonna take me in.  If Mr. Tom Smith get's pulled over without a DL, he's probably going to get a verbal warning and will be off on his merry way.  There is a higher chance authorities will doubt my  "papers" authenticity...not so of Mr. Smiths.  My point is why should the majority be inconvenienced just so that the minority can pretend to feel safe?  (By minority I mean old white men)  Why do any of you feel like it's ok and should be a burden that we should bare?  If you are a person of color who is in favor of these laws, think twice buddy, you my find yourself in an immigration prison the next time you get pulled over. Don't take my word for it, Google it. There are plenty of US citizens who have almost been deported and others that have because of this.  These laws are violating my rights and are offensive to me a US citizen who should not have to live in fear just because I'm browner than the jackasses...ahem...politicians who are making these laws up.

If these politicians had any sense of justice and in doing the right thing they would get rid of these blatantly racist laws and put pressure on the federal government to take care of the issue.  Immigration reform is needed there is not doubt about it.   No one should have to wait a decade before being able to even start the process of bring their loved one home.  People shouldn't be barred from ever coming the US because of none violent mistakes that Americans do ALL THE TIME.

Violent undocumented immigrants have no place here.  Sorry Bud, you broke into a DD for some munchkins at gun point, you're SOL.  It's easy to accept these laws when you are not a victim of them. 

2 comments:

  1. All of this is sooo true. I don't understand why good people that have a life here and have worked hard for what we have can't go through some process to say legally. But as you and I both know it's not that simple. The law here goes in effect on Sept. 1st. We are trying to prepare now for what could happen after then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonyapolonieto, thanks for commenting. It is really frustrating to see all these laws pop up like weeds. I really hope that something changes for the good. I still have hope that there are good people out there that will fight this.

    ReplyDelete