Friday, June 10, 2011

A Child's Prayer

Every night Cairo and I pray.   Usually I go first and pray out loud so that Cairo can hear me.  It starts with being grateful for all of our blessings and then Jose comes center stage.  Cairo goes next and typically he takes bits and pieces of what I said and puts them together in what ever order he feels they should go.  They don't make much sense in the end but it's all about intention and his heart, which is always focused on his dad. One of his prayers really stood out last week.

Side Note:
One of Joses major concerns is that the basement gets flooded.  Every time it rained he would ask if we got rain in the basement, thankfully each time the basement was dry.  Memorial day weekend we had major rain here in the mid west, so much rain fell that Sunday that our basements luck ran out.  We got several inches of water in the basement and even though it was pretty much empty we still had not finished unpacking, we had plenty of boxes on the floor.  I was forced not only to clean up the mess on Monday but to unpack.  Cairo was watching TV in the basement and I was in the dining room when I heard "Mom! Mom!".  I ran down the stairs to find Cairo stranded on the sofa and water gushing out from the drain, it was like old faithfull had moved in.  I saved him and as we looked at the water rising, for a second crazy thoughts started to take over, "what else can go wrong?  I don't need this right now.  I can't afford the damage. I wish Jose was here."  I felt a full blown, borderline crazy woman, break down creep it's ugly head and as the tears started to flow my mind started to clear and I thought it's just water, they are just objects and what ever mess is left in the end it can be either cleaned up or thrown out.  Then I smiled.  My mom and I spent all day Monday cleaning up my basement and I kept the crazy woman  at bay.


Cairos prayer as always was very sweet, only this time he told Diosito in a very desperate tone "...and Diosito, please bring my papi back soon, we had a lot of water in the basement and we really needed him..."  I started to tear up.  Cairo had realized how big of a deal it was to get water in the basement, and Jose had always saved the day in the past but he was not there to save us that day.  He made the association that we were in trouble and we needed Jose, how deep is that for a 5 year old  kid? Cairo did not express any concern about the water before hand, not even the day of, I mean we were both freaked out as it was happening but he did talk about what he was feeling out loud, but they started to come through like in that prayer.  It made me realize that he is feeling all kinds of emotions and fears that he is not vocalizing.  I can only imagine what my poor baby is feeling, which concerns me even more how all this is going to affect him?

No comments:

Post a Comment