Friday, June 24, 2011

Attorney hired

The immigration attorney has been hired and now we wait.  I like that he's very passionate about what he does.  Our conversation didn't last very long today I made my points and brought up the ICE memo, to which he responded "The ICE attorneys here have not even heard of it." and when he asked a judge about it the judge said "It's not going to make a difference".  Basically he said, ICE and Mr. Obama are pandering for the Latino vote.  It seems that the memo was sent out to make it seem like something is being done to help the community when in reality they are still trying to hit their yearly quota of over 300,000 people deported.  You might say what do you expect the memo came out almost a week ago?  The thing is, it affects peoples lives.  It affects my life.  If that memo came out Friday the attorneys should be putting it into effect Monday.  I understand some things take time but that is something I don't have.  Jose has court Wednesday and if these attorneys read the memo and put it into effect he might be let go....but they haven't and might not ever read that memo and where will that leave us?

After our meeting I practically ran with Mr. Little B to the local church, he picked up a rosary and a book and he bought me the Virgin de Guadalupe card I want to send to Jose.  He had them blessed and ran back to his next appointment and I stayed and cried and prayed.  He informed me of the vigil that is held every Friday morning down town for the people being deported that morning.  I'm thinking of going and add to the support...I'm afraid to see the buses leave though.  I'm not sure I'll be able to handle seeing all those people being taken away.

What Mr. Little B said doesn't mean we're not going to fight, it just means we are going fight even harder.  Laws are placed in such a way that they suppress minorities.  In Joses case, even though he was convicted of a crime where there was no victim, no one was hurt yet he is marked as an undesirable, a person who is deportable in this countries eyes.  It doesn't matter that he made a mistake that Millions of Americans make every day (and have every right to make but that is a topic for another day), or that he's a stay at home dad or that his son who desperately needs him is waiting for him to come home.  They don't see the people, they see the conviction. They don't see the broken home or a family torn apart, they see their quota increased.

No comments:

Post a Comment