Friday, October 14, 2011

Cairos Burden

Every day Cairo opens my eyes to how receptive he is and how much of this situation he is bearing on his shoulders.  The things he says can be very difficult to hear.  Not too long ago it was picture day at school.  He was very angry at having to take his picture.  He kept saying he didn't want to take his picture.  I didn't really understand why he was so upset.  A couple days ago an order form, from the photographer, came home saying "It's not too late to order!!", along with it came the wadded up order form that was supposed to be sent with Cairo on picture day.  I asked Cairo why he didn't bring the first form home.  He said he didn't bring it home because he didn't want me buying pictures, pictures cost money and we need all our money for his papi to come home.  It all made sense.  Around the same time a little girl told him she's give him a dollar to cut in line.  He took the dollar and let her cut.  He came home with the dollar saying it was a good deal because we need more dollars for his papi.  Last week as we were on our way to therapy he asked me what he could do to help his papi.  I told him the most important thing he can do is pray for him to come back.  I told him it was a job that only special people can do.  These moments give me a glimpse of the enormous burden he is carrying around every day.   He's six, he shouldn't be carrying that burden, Cairo shouldn't be worried about money or his dad.  Needless to say the dollar went back to the little girl and I ordered his school pictures.

All I want to do is lift this burden from him.  The messed up part is I can carry only so much myself. 

3 comments:

  1. Poor thing. Im so sorry you guys are having such a tough time. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart was breaking while reading this. I realize how lucky I am that when I met my hubby he was "documented." He was fortunate enough to be in the states before all of this crazy immigration stuff started happening and was able to arreglar sus papeles. When I read some of these blogs, I feel so sad because I realize I could have been going through a similar situation.
    Try and stay positive for your own well being, your hubbys, and your son's.
    Your in my thoughts!!!! and prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete