Friday, October 7, 2011

How I predicted the future

Years ago I tried to have a conversation with Jose about his status.  I told him we had to do something about it and that I didn't want him working.  He of course brushed it all off saying it would be impossible for the government to catch every one much less deport them.  My biggest concern was for him to be rounded up somewhere or pulled over and I didn't want him driving around or in a situation where he could be arrested.  My argument at the time, and we're taking about at least 4 or 5 years ago, was it wouldn't be that difficult.  I told him there are plenty of racist people in this country, many of them in positions of power.  It would just be a matter of time before the grip would tighten and people would have no choice to migrate else where if not to their home countries.  All people had to do was require State IDs for everything.  With the passing of the Alabama law which was upheld by Judge Blackburn a whole new dynamic is hitting the state and our country.  Children have stopped going to school for fear of being deported or having one if not both of their parents deported and now it appears that even getting water services can get you deported. This is exactly what I had told Jose way back when, it was just a matter of time.  Start cutting of basic needs for lack of proper identification and people will have no choice but to hit the road.  I would like to think the Alabama law will be shut down, but in the mean time it is alive and well and it's hurting a lot of people.  Even if the federal government managed to kill the law, the damage that it has caused can not be undone.

The ignorance and racism behind this and all the other laws boggles my mind and quite frankly scares me.  I'm brown, I'm a U.S.Citizen but I'm brown.  Dark hair, brown eyes and every thing.  If I happen to go to Alabama and someone heard me speaking Spanish, I have no doubt that they'd wonder about my status.  It's sad to think that in my own country I feel unwelcome but that'ts exactly how I feel.  I'm not gonna lie, when I drove down to see Jose with my brother I was a little concerned about what we were going to experience.  We had stopped at a Steak N Shake and although the service and food was excellent, I couldn't help but notice the other customers looking at us weird.  Maybe it was just my imagination.

Alabama will never be the same after this. Those who were afraid have been ousted and those who were ready to uphold the law now have ICE on speed dial.  

2 comments:

  1. I know this world is full of hate. I have commented on here before so you may or may not remember that I live in Alabama. This law is pure HATE!!! My kids came home from school sad saying that all their friends are moving. They also said that they were asked if they were going to have to move. I went in to pay a ticket for one of my husbands friends and there was a sign in English and Spanish that said all business transactions require proof of citizenship. They let me pay the ticket for him it was for no DL but that is also where you have water service turn on too. People also have been waiting for up to 5 hours to renew their car tags. If they do not change the law I will have to take my husbands name off of our van or they will not renew my tag in July. You have to have an alabama DL for anyone who's name is on the car. I hope they change it but I don't think it will be anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I remember you. I am so sorry this is happening, I really hope good change comes quick. I don't our community can handle any more of this, at some point something's gotta give.

    ReplyDelete