Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Mi Torta de Jamon Gordo

Ever since Jose has been detained I engulfed myself with reading articles on immigration.  I've learned so much not only about what direction politicians are going on the subject but also how many "Americans" feel about the subject.  Reading the comments on the articles just depress the heck out of me.  I can't believe how horrible people feel about undocumented immigrants.  It's like people have lost their humanity, compassion and empathy for their fellow man.  To top it off all the comments are ignorant to the immigration laws in this country.  The Daily News recently posted article about women who are living in exile outside of the United States because their spouses have been deported.  The comments on this article stuck a cord, in particular:

"To all the women who marry illegals, or choose to marry down. Too bad if you don't like what is said about the subject. This format is one of the few places Americans can voice their opinion without fear of job loss or government retaliation. What did you down dating fools think? That everyone would be supportive? Not ! Women love to date losers, can I ask you women the size of your husbands bank accounts? Could it be 4 figures at best, or perhaps zero! It's not so much that these men have immigration problems that disturb me. It's the whole package, I'm sure they have zero bank accounts, zero job opportunity, and wives and children in their home countries. A woman will fall in love with a ham sandwich."

Comments like the one above is the reason why I stopped reading them.  I've been following most if not all of the blogs mentioned and even though I have just started reading these blogs, the fact that they are blogging and reading their experiences have given me hope that regardless of what happens to Joses case, in the end we are going to be ok and we are going to make it.  These are the blogs I follow that have written about their "Ham Sandwiches":

Corin in Exile
The Real Houswives of Ciudad Juarez
Living South of Sanity
Greenga Girl
A Year in the Life of Krystal

In solidarity, here are 25, of the many, reasons I love my Torta de Jamon Gordo:

  1. Because of him I have a beautiful son
  2. Not once did he ask me to drop out of school to be a stay at home wife, my parents biggest concern
  3. He as a beautiful heart, even though not many people get to see it
  4. He's not afraid to wash dishes or sweep or mop or do laundry even though most "Machos" think that's a womans job
  5. He can talk about "girl" stuff without acting like a 13 year old and understands if I need to rest or need to be left a lone for a bit
  6. His jeans look like my sons, torn at the knees from playing carritos on the floor
  7. He has the strength of a bull but is ever so gentle
  8. No matter how badly my dad treats him, he does his best to be patient with him.  If you've met my father you'll know, that in itself is HUGE
  9. When he does handyman work at our or my parents house, he always lets Cairo "help" in a way that doesn't cause too much damage but makes Cairo feel important
  10. He complains about my choice of paint color, as he paints the walls
  11. I can come home with a tree and all he would ask is "Where do you want it?"
  12. He's not afraid of physical labor
  13. He doesn't know how smart and skilled he really is
  14. He can fix almost anything without having to consult google
  15. His response to my brother and sister-in-law moving was "Tell them I'm sorry I'm not there to help"
  16. He loves his son with all his heart
  17. No matter how angry he gets he has never ever raised a hand at me
  18. He is protective of his family
  19. He loves to cook, even though his culinary skills are still in development :)
  20. He'll stay up doing laundry if I need him to
  21. I never have to ask him to take out the garbage
  22. He shows his appreciation for people with actions not words
  23. He manages to always make me feel better when I'm upset or hurt
  24. We can talk all night about nothing and everything
  25. If the world as we know it were ever to end, we'll survive thanks to him
I LOVE YOU GORDO!

3 comments:

  1. I read ur blog! All of it !!! Wow.. I am speechless. America U will overcome this I know and ur family will be together again real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I just saw this now. Thank you for the link-up! And I love number 13. My husband thinks he is so dumb because he ended his education in 6th grade. He has no idea how smart he is.

    ReplyDelete