Wednesday, July 20, 2011

First Therapy Session

Last night Cairo went to his first therapy session with Katie.  I explained to him that we were going to a place where he was going to meet Katie and he was going to be allowed to play with toys and talk to her about anything he wanted to.  He right away asked if he could talk about his dad and I said of course.  

I was, and still am, a little apprehensive about the process.  Cairo is to be alone with a complete stranger for 45 minutes behind closed doors.  I know it sounds bad but he's my only son and it's bad enough our dysfunctional family is going to mess him up for life add to that his dad being ripped from his life at such a tender age, let's just say I don't want anything else to happen to him.   Katie, came out to the waiting room, she is super nice and I got the impression that she is very open to kids and their weirdness (cuz you know kids can be weird sometimes), I felt comfortable with her and Cairo was smitten with her the moment she said "Hi!".  I had told him if he didn't like her or didn't feel comfortable that he didn't have to go.  Right away he asked if he could go with her and off he went.  I spent the 45 minutes reading blogs on my phone, next time I'll take my ipod and listen to a book. When they came out it's like he was the energizer bunny.

"Mom! Mom! Guess what she has?!?!  She has a sand table and little monitos I got to play with and carritos and troquitas!!! Can I come back tomorrow???"

Yes, my little spanglish baby had a great time.  It felt good that he had fun.  I gave him his space and only asked if he had fun and if Katie was nice.  He told me that he got to play and to talk and that they talked about his papi.  He said he liked it and wanted to go back.  So here we are, day 1 of therapy for my changuito and he doesn't even know it.

1 comment:

  1. I remember a few therapy sessions as a kid and having my mother in there made them unbearable. Anytime I was asked a question where an answer might make her look bad, she gave me a look. I think even if I wasn't getting looks, I would have held back so I didn't hurt her feelings or say something that disappointed her. I know it is tough to let him go alone, but what you are doing is wonderful and brave. I think it is great that he has this chance to express himself and I hope this helps him deal with the awful situation.

    ReplyDelete