Friday, September 23, 2011

I'm running out of attorneys

So remember I had mentioned Mr. L would be taking over for Mr. B?  He originally said he would take care of Joses old case for $2,000 then charge $1,500 to take care of the lingering charge against him.  I said ok and gave him $1,000, of loaned money, to get him started.  He went into court on Monday and we were denied our request. We started on plan B which is to file a motion to reconsider the judges denial.  I spoke to him about this and he tells me that it will cost another $1000 to do this motion to reconsider.  In my mind this whole thing, going to court on Monday, filing the reconsider stuff, all falls under trying to vacate the case....right?  Well NO, these are all little steps that lead up to getting the case vacated and he wants 1K for ever step.  When we talked about this I told him I don't have a lot of money and that I need for him to work with me to take care of this (I mean I can pay him but not a grand at a time!!) , he says he has other clients and is not going to work on a case if he's not going to get paid and would rather spend time with his family.  I was stunned.

I am pissed and I am scared.  I am doing this all on my own and I feel like I am in a losing battle.   It is no wonder that people with money can do what they want, they can afford to hire attorneys who do what ever they want as long as they get paid and it's the people like Jose and myself who get screwed because although we are humble and no threat to anyone we have no money to freely give to attorneys and so we are S.O.L.  I don't know what to do.  I've already spent $1,000 on this guy but he's not interested in helping me or Jose, he doesn't believe in our case, his heart is not in it and he's going to nickel and dime all the way to the poor house.

What do I do NOW?

1 comment:

  1. I hope you read this because it may help, my sister had her own case entirely worked by http://www.hrionline.org/ I don't know that you qualify to work with these guys or someone similar, she did because she was a battered woman and her husband a bad man but they were very nice and kind and helpful, maybe try to find someone pro bono, they can be good, not all pro bono people are incompetent and lazy

    ReplyDelete