Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I'm Mexican

I thought this comment is worthy of it's own space.  When I drove to the McHenry County prison last week to sign the paperwork for the marriage license and all I noticed at the bottom of the marriage application were two questions:
  1. Is the Groom MEXICAN? ___ Yes ___ No
  2. Is the Bride MEXICAN?   ___ Yes ___ No
Both were checked at 'Yes'.  Now, I know I've been a little touchy about Latinoism and discrimination lately....ok let's face it, I've been a lot touchy...but I thought this was an odd question.  I probably wouldn't have noticed if the application had perhaps something like:
  1. Is the Groom  ___ Mexican  ___ Chinese ___ Irish  etc...  ?
  2. Is the Bride     ___ Mexican  ___ Chinese ___ Irish  etc...  ?
But it didn't.  It specifically asked if either or both of us were Mexican, yes or no.  I have no problem being "Mexican", I'm Mexican-American, there's no denying it....but considering that I was born and raised in the U.S. making me a I don't know, U.S. Citizen AKA American. I just thought it was odd. To be honest I thought there was some sort of confusion and honestly the last thing I need right now is for someone to question my citizenship.  I asked the woman at the counter why it was checked off for both of us as "Yes".  She responded because our parents are Mexican born, and that the info is used only for statistical purposes.

Hmmm....Ok, here are my thoughts on that.  If it's because our/my parents were born in Mexico then why isn't the question "Is the Groom/Bride of Mexican Descent?".  Why the hell do they only care about "Mexicans" getting married in their pokey, middle of nowhere county? So if I'm "Mexican" because my parents were born in Mexico, is Cairo the only "American" in my household because his mom (AKA me the Mexican) was born in the U.S. ?

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you! Strange question and why should or would it even matter....
    When we were filling out our census it was asking those types of questions and I didn't even fill in an answer. The goverment needs to know why....???

    ReplyDelete