Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Jose's in the hole

Apparently there was some kind of minor incident last Wednesday (August 3, 2011) that resulted in a bunch of guys including Jose to be put in the hole.  The hole for some who don't know is solitary confinement.  They are not allowed to shower, are not given razors to shave, can not buy food from the commissary, can not write home (and I'm guessing can not receive mail) and are limited to when they can call home.

It's been a week and he's still in the hole.  He and the others there complained to the warden.  They were not involved in any fights (unlike others) and try to keep to themselves yet they are being held in solitary confinement.  The wardens response was that he did not have to listen or speak to them and that he simply did not want them there at the detention center and will keep them in the hole until space is available at another location!!!  He has submitted a request to have them moved to another county.  If he is moved I only pray that it's closer than where he is now.

I simply can not understand why people with CIVIL offenses are being treated like murderers and rapists.  It's inhumane and unjust.  Even if they were real criminals to deprive them of being able to shower and communicate with their loved ones is not right.  My stomach hurt just hearing him tell me what had happened.  I wish I can just go over there and get him.  I think the warden is abusing his authority and it's killing me that I can't do anything about it.  Mr. Little B. said to document everything and hopefully something can be done when Jose is released. They are being treated worse than animals and it's disgusting.

The more this kind of stuff happens the more I feel like throwing in the towel and just getting away from this awful place that does nothing but imprison as many people it can for the sake of giving the select few the illusion they are safe while making billions of dollars in the process.  I am down right angry that this is happening and that no one seems to care that it's happening.


GOD BLESS AMERICA 
The land of the free, as long as you keep your mouth shut and stay at the bottom.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you guys are having such a rough time right now. I hope they let him out soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete